General Admission Requirements
In addition to the general admission requirements into PIU, applicants must have a minimum of the following:
1. Must have an aggregate grade of C+ (C PLUS) in K.C.S.E. (or equivalent examination) and a minimum grade of C in English. Further to these, a C in either Geography, Business Studies or any language.
2. Must have TWO Principal (2P) passes in ‘A’ level/Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) in English and Mathematics and one subsidiary in either Geography, Business Studies or Economics.
3. K.C.S.E (mean C) plus Diploma from a recognized institution.
4. A degree or diploma from a CUE recognized university.
1. This Curriculum is a 4-year full-time programme intended for student undertaking Bachelor of Arts in International Relations.
2. A total of 84 courses are presented in this curriculum which include courses of humanities and sciences (i.e. Mathematics, Business, Computer Applications, Ethics, Law, and Biological and Environmental Sciences). These are from a pool of General Education courses of the University, which must be taken by BAIR students. Thirty (32) courses comprise the core curriculum courses designated BAIR and a further 26 courses are the electives in the major fields of specialization. A student under this curriculum must take 36 required courses, 8 specialization electives, a project, and Internship lasting for 10 weeks. A total of 56 courses are required for a student to graduate in a Bachelor Arts in International Relations. The credits earned in this case are 168.
3. The academic year will consist of two semesters with optional third semester (tri-semester)
4. Courses shall be offered in terms of units, one credit unit being equivalent to one hour of instructions per week in a semester of 14 or 15 weeks. In addition, one hour of lecture is equivalent to two hours of practical session, or an equivalent amount of other assigned study or practical experience or any other.
5. The Program shall be offered in one single stage whose exit point is the award of the Degree in International Relations.
6. To qualify for the award of the Degree of Bachelor Arts in International Relations, candidate shall have completed study for the Degree extending over a period of not less than 3½ years and not more than 6 academic years. In any case, the student shall be expected to attend 95% of all classes.
7. In ALL the stages of study admission for a specific course shall be subject to the student meeting the University’s requirements.
8. A student shall be required to take a minimum of all the University common courses designated BAIR in a given stage.
9. Each registered student will undertake an industrial attachment during the period following the end of year II.
10. Each attachment session will not be less than 8 weeks, being equivalent to ONE unit, and shall be subject to the general regulations for practical training and industrial attachment.
11. Each student shall be required to take a Project, in stage II, being an equivalent of TWO units.
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations – Diplomacy
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations – International Trade
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations – Foreign Policy
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations – Peace and Security Studies
Suggested concentrations for BAIR:
- Diplomacy and Foreign Policy
- Peace and Conflict
- Development Studies
- African Affairs
- International Economics and Trade