- Must have an aggregate grade of C+ (C PLUS) in K.C.S.E. (or equivalent examination) and a minimum grade of C in Mathematics and English as well as in Physics
- Must have TWO Principal passes in ‘A’ level/Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) in Physicsand Mathematics
- Must have a pass in Diploma in Management and Information Technology,or Diploma in Information Technology, or Diploma in Computer technology from a recognized Institution.
- Any other equivalent qualifications approved by Senate as equivalent to 1, 2, and 3 above.
Mission of BSIT Programme:
The Mission of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Programme at PIU (BSIT) is to rigorously train professionals with strong foundation in IT by the development of competency in specialized area of the field, then solve associated IT problems in a business setting. The principal means of accomplishing this mission is through a comprehensive interdisciplinary curriculum which begins with critical understanding of Mathematics for Technology, Computer Science/Computer Systems, Information Systems, Business, Humanities and Community Service. This provides the foundation for building towards state-of-the-art IT research and development. The programme has the following specific Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs) which provide a sound base in the principles of IT at appropriate levels training:
1. Recognize and demonstrate an understanding of the role of IT in Organizations
2. Demonstrate independent critical thinking and problem-solving skills using IT systems;
3. Apply rational analytical techniques to the development of IT based solutions;
4. Identify current and emerging technologies and discuss their applicability to today’s organizations;
5. Demonstrate expertise in the core technologies that support all IT based applications;
6. Communicate effectively with clients and peers, both orally and in writing;
7. Work effectively in project teams to implement IT based solutions in one or more application areas;
8. Use advanced project management methods in complex systems development environments.
9. Apply computing tools in modelling organizational processes and data, define & implement technical & process solutions, manage projects, and integrate systems; Design and implement communication systems
Aims and Objectives:
The main aim of the BSIT program is to educate and train students for the very dynamic and rapidly changing market for computer and information systems and products. The graduates from the program will be able to apply the knowledge, skills and innovative thinking developed during the program in a range of applications in enterprise and industry. In addition, the program provides a sound base in fundamentals and principles to enable the graduate to be a life-long learner and innovator who can respond very positively to the challenges and opportunities presented by new ideas and technologies. Those graduates considering post-graduate studies will embark on this with confidence that they are well equipped for it.
The specific objectives of the programme are stated as follows:
1. To present knowledge and development expertise in the student in Information Technologies and their application to information systems and products;
2. To develop in the student the concepts of professional practice, innovation and enterprise;
3. To make the student aware of technological trends and the emerging opportunities;
4. To help the student see the relevance of their knowledge and expertise in the context of social needs both nationally and internationally;
5. To develop in the student the ability to work in teams and to be organized in their approach to work;
6. To produce graduates who have broad knowledge in technical, social and ethical principles and implications of Information Technology on the society as a whole.
7. To produce graduates who are prepared to enter a world of entrepreneurship
8. To provide a sound base from which to embark in life-long learning and post-graduates studies and research
- Bachelor of Science in IT – Artificial Intelligence
- Bachelor of Science in IT – Distributed Systems
- Bachelor of Science in IT – Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in IT – Networking and Administration
- Bachelor of Science in IT – Security and Cryptology