Philosophy of the Programme
To develop and equip professional teachers with knowledge, skills and attributes capable of nurturing today’s learners with rich learning experiences to become successful in 21st century. This is in tandem with the University philosophy of “education of the whole person in the spirit of pioneership”.
Overall Goals of the Programme
The Bachelor of Education (Arts) programme is designed to train professionally qualified teachers with knowledge, skills and attitudes required to effectively teach and provide effective leadership in delivery curriculum. The B.Ed (Arts) focus on providing a broad foundation of the theoretical, practical and professional knowledge in the field education with a focus on concepts, skills, knowledge, attributes, values needed for teachers to develop strong professional dispositions.
Further, the program is organized around several professional threads that unfold throughout the courses and are reinforced in practicum contexts. The programme provides student teachers with exemplary practices in teacher education such as:
- That a teacher education program should prepare teachers through a professional development process of study, reflection, and application.
- That when student teachers have a well-supervised teaching practice, closely connected to course work, where they learn from expert faculty and cooperating teachers whom they can model and coach effective teaching.
- Help student teachers develop a broad repertoire of teaching strategies and understand when to use them to support learners.
Purpose of the Programme
The Bachelor of Education (Arts) programmer is designed to develop a well-rounded professionally qualified graduate teacher who is grounded in 21st century competency-based approach to teaching and possesses exemplary pedagogical content knowledge in the subject matter.
- English & Literature
- Kiswahili & History
- Mathematics & Geography
- Mathematics & Business Studies
- Business Studies & Computer Studies
- Mathematics & Computer Studies
Admission Requirements for B.Ed (Arts)
- Holders of Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or its equivalent with a minimum aggregate of C+ and a minimum of grade C+ in the two teaching subjects; or
- Holder of Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) certificate with a minimum of two principle passes and one subsidiary pass, a minimum of a principle pass in each of the two teaching subjects; or
- Holder of Diploma in Education from institutions recognized by Commission for University Education (CUE) and an aggregate of C in KCSE or equivalent
- Have a PI Certificate with a minimum of a C plain at KCSE; or
- Holders of “0” Level Div 11 or equivalent plus a diploma from institutions recognized by Commission for University Education.